I've toyed with the idea of getting braces since I was in the UK, when I had too much time and began scrutinising myself in the mirror. Not many people thought that this was a good idea as my teeth, though not perfectly straight, seemed pretty alright, which would make me really vain if I wanted to correct them. The crookedness of my teeth was inconspicuous at most angles but it was there and it bugged me. I envied the decency of people with straight teeth. Later Ming told me that correcting one's teeth out of vanity was not unique to me and lots of people did that, for who cannot live with crooked teeth anyway? Great!
Fifteen years earlier, I had retainers meant to correct my top four front teeth. One was jutting out, another jutting in and the other two in-between. The student dentist had asked if I'd like to use retainers or braces, and I based my choice on the level of pain each procedure would give. I'd have to extract teeth if I wanted braces so I chose the retainers. The student dentist supported me and said my teeth were quite straight anyway. My sentiments exactly, until bloody UK.
So it had been four years since I've had the urge on and off. I made an appointment with the orthodontist once, only to cancel it at the last minute because braces were expensive and I was not working at that time. I also felt guilty for having only one reason to straighten my teeth - so I'd get beautiful teeth! - but several reasons not to - they cost a couple of thousand dollars, I'd be stricken with pain and the stigma of being a braces-wearing adult for two years and I will have to pull out teeth which deterred me the most. The struggle was a great one - pain versus vanity - what a cliche! As the years went by, my desire for straight teeth grew but the dissuading factors did not, so finally, I was decided. I was going to see an orthodontist and if my fears were not exceeded, I'd do it!
First visit
I took time off work and saw Dr Mah on a Wednesday, 13 Jan 2010 at 3pm. He asked me what was wrong and I brutally said "I'm vain." I told him I found my lower row of teeth jarring. So he looked and poked at my teeth, observed my chin, jaw, bite, smile and so on. He then composed himself on a chair beside me and said that the most straight forward way of going about it would be to remove four of my teeth and have me put on conventional braces. I said, "Aiyah, I have to extract four teeth ah..." then "Ok! Let's do it!" Because I really wanted to!
I knew I made the right decision. Instantly, I was happy and excited - and I had to pull out four teeth! I wanted to start and complete the process in one sitting right there and then. I wanted the braces, in it's monstrous entirety, to be fitted in now! But, no.
Dr Mah sent me to get X-rays taken. The X-ray room was like a sci-fi Hollywood movie set and made me feel like I was living in the future. The machines were pristine white and moved sleekly; they beeped and spoke and played music. I walked back to Dr Mah's room and there were the digital X-rays, ready to be viewed on his computer! From the X-rays, I verified that indeed there were corrections to be done, and despite all that scrutiny in the UK, more than I thought.
I was asked if I'd like to have the metal or ceramic braces. The metal were S$600 cheaper and I could have on coloured rubber bands but Dr Mah recommended the ceramics as he thought they worked better, so I went with his recommendation as I tend to trust the professionals. No colourful bands to play with, I guess. He said the ceramics will also let me, "Enjoy the process more," to which I asked, "How to enjoy?" and he said, "You can see the teeth moving and straightening more clearly." Ok. Pictures of my teeth and and me were taken with harsh flash (not to be tagged on Facebook). I was told I can't have coke and chocolates. But I will need to have the braces on for only a year (or a little more) which was a plus! I hope to have beautiful teeth when I turn thirty!
Dr Mah inserted eight rubber band dividers to make space for the braces and prepared me by saying, "They'll give you some grieve." I thought they were ok and left feeling confident that I'll have no grieve whatsoever. I was wrong. The dividers prevented my top and bottom molars from touching so I couldn't bite properly. I felt like I was chewing on rubber or springs and the weird sensation drove me crazy. Crazy, but bearable.
Second visit
Second appointment was a week later to pay the down payment, put in the back brackets and remove two of the four teeth. When I left from work my colleagues wished my good luck, while I waved back in enthusiasm. It was a busy day at the Dental Centre and I had to wait even though I was on time. Dr Mah was speedy when inserting the brackets. I was soon brought to Level 2 to have my teeth extracted by another dentist who is XY's long time friend, Andrew. He was nice and his nurse was super duper nice but the anaesthetic jabs at five or six different parts of my oral cavity were excruciatingly painful! I now know what to expect if ever I want to botox my lips. The left side of my face lost sensation very quickly. I was asked to rinse and the water I took in spurted out from my mouth like it would a water pistol. It was hard to sit on the dentist chair and make small talk while all three of us waited for the anaesthetic to take effect, because I could not control my pronunciation. I tried to speak clearly but sounded ineffectual. When the time came, the extraction was painless. They let me keep my teeth but Andrew said they were full of bacteria and I should throw them away - I will keep them to show XY. I headed home after the extraction and my mom totally freaked out and said that if she'd known it was gonna be so bad, she would have dissuaded me (she had been very encouraging all along). For the next 2 to 3 hours, my entire left face was swollen and numb like it had suffered a stroke. I couldn't drink from a glass without water dribbling down my chin. When I smiled or talked only the right side of my face moved. Thankfully, the size of my face is back to normal now and I'm quite proud to have survivied the extraction with just a whimper, when the needle went into my lip! The next time round I'll be heading to the office after, and for sure all these will be quite an inconvenience.
Now
With the back braces fixed for two days, I'm glad I can cross out two days from the getting-used-to-the-permanent-pain calendar. My inner cheeks have no less than four ulcers and I talk with my teeth clenched as if I am suppressing anger all the time. When I had dinner yesterday, I ouched out loud twice and brought some joy to JY!!! I'm learning to bite carefully. I also contemplate alot more before I put any food into my mouth. Wanted to proposition Ming "Let's go have Tang Yuan!" today but realised it's not gonna be an enjoyment for me, for now. Grumpy, but shall make use of this opportunity to lose weight because I'm quite sure I'll get used to all the metal soon... by which time it should be my next extraction and more brackets!
Did a search on google and found many dedicated blogs on braces-wearing journeys. I shall try to put some of my experiences here.
And I'm not sure if Wabi notices anything but she treats me no different than before.

My teeth, from one angle.
No comments:
Post a Comment