Monday, 1 August 2011

Marvelous Journey

In case anyone is wondering, my teeth are doing exceedingly well. During my visit to Dr Ma on 16 June, he very casually and non-commitally said that the braces should come off in three to four months' time. Then he added, definitely by this year. That would mean September at the earliest, and December at the latest. My teeth have come far from their crooked days.

When I saw Dr Ma last Thursday (21 July) he removed two of the metal rings from my bottom teeth. That is a big step forward in my terms because it just feels really different without the rings. Having the rings and some of the braces yanked out also gave me a taste of what is to come when I can finally remove them all. It's gonna be a sweat on my brows, nails lodged in chair kind of experience. Like pulling out teeth.

Anyway, the teeth really moved. I monitor them everyday and despite this micro surveillance on my part, they still moved. There is nothing fun about waiting for them to get in place, and waiting for their roots to get in place and waiting for their general stability. Most of the days, it's the boring routine of toothbrush, toothpick brush and floss. Eating crunchy foods especially nuts and chips have lost their appeal (good!) and I still eat slower than what I used to because food gets stuck in places. I don't really mind that part, what I mind is not being able to get the shiok out of biting into a pizza or toast and tearing of a chunk with my front teeth. Rawrrr!!! I miss that.

Even at my last appointment, the teeth still hurt after tightening and I was on liquids for a couple of days. It doesn't bother me at all because I love soups (and ice cream) and I feel really healthy those days.

Since having the braces on, I have had people telling me I look different every couple of months. Some of my ex-colleagues bought it when I told them I got a nose job in reaction to them questioning why I looked different. But my classmate from 15 years ago recognised me the moment she saw me so I am still recognisable as me. I actually think I look the same just a little "thinner" with hollower cheeks and more chin.

I will take some pictures to compare and contrast the before, midway and after but in the meantime, a picture of me in May 2011 and one of me in Feb 2011. Same same lah. Just being indulgent.


No comments: