Saturday, 13 February 2010

little white teeth
on my little white teeth


The white ceiling is made up of rectangular aluminium framed card board and fluorescent lamps, placed in a certain sequence. As I lay on the dentist chair, my eyes wide open in search of a good spot for permanent focus, it struck me that the ceiling and I were familiar friends. Dr Mah busied himself with a dozen different metalic contraptions in my mouth. Common as this sort of ceiling goes, I've only scrutinised it when I made trips to this same dentistry when I was in primary school and was registered under their student programme. I liked visiting the dentist. They were a cool bunch who gave away stickers and funkily flavoured toothpaste. Seeing the formation of card boards and lamps again here and now, intensifies my enjoyment of being here, now.

It had been two weeks since my last visit. I'd gotten accustomed to the metal rings and was really looking forward to this appointment because I was gonna get the braces on and I just couldn't wait! It was a Friday and there was a media thingy at work, but this dental appointment was scheduled beforehand so I had to leave the work to the colleagues (although I would have liked to be around).

The moment the goggles went on, things happened quickly. Two plastic dishes were inserted on the left and right of my mouth to part my lips from my teeth. The entire front teeth and lip area was blotted and blown and kept very dry. Dr Mah thought I was scared because I seemed to be grabbing on to the sides of chair, but I was not. The ceramic braces went on with little discomfort. Once they were done though, they felt really out of place. It was strange to have these little things protruding from my teeth. Andrew commented that they look like little teeth, and they kinda do. A gross question my friend once asked me came to mind: Would you rather have lots of little ears all over your head, or one huge ear inside your mouth?

I grinned so my lips didn't have to close over the braces but whenever my grin laxed, they kept my lips up like the opening of a tent. I worked my facial muscles harder to keep them out of each other's way.

I clenched my teeth but couldn't bite normally. Dr Mah had put something in to raise two of molars so my teeth couldn't touch, to prevent my upper teeth from chipping off the braces on my lower teeth. I knew that this was to be the bane of my every meal. He said that this will go on for about three months, I assume until my teeth moves and can clench nicely.

The braces were on, but I still had two teeth to remove! A most worrying procedure for me. I had a good idea what to expect but strangely, was more nervous. My hands and feet felt like cold, dead turkeys as I anticipated the long metallic anaesthetic jabs. When Andrew gave me the first jab, he tried to distract by asking if the short sharp prick or the long dull insertion was more bearable. I just wanted it over and done, so when he removed the needle, I said, "Er... I anything also can. Just faster do...". Haha! Once the jabs were all in, I was calm and everything was good again. Yippee! The two good teeth were taken out, then Dr Mah came in to insert the wires, and I was done and ready to go!

My face didn't swell so badly this time as I was given less jabs (only four). I went home, changed the blood drenched cotton gauze, took a panadol as instructed, ate porridge and made my way to Wei's place to hang out!

Now
It has been a little more than a week since I've had the braces and oh my, I already see some movement! The change is very slight, only I notice them (Ming was like, "Err... I think got a bit loh..."), but it's still exciting. I'm speaking with a lisp and even more unclearly than that. Eating is difficult. I've been taking soup and porridge. Nothing I eat can give the same gratification as before. Sigh. Brushing takes much longer and I have to wake up earlier in the mornings to make concessions for that. One of the metal rings I thought I had gotten used to began cutting up my tongue again, so I've been using the wax. Thankfully though, the ceramic braces have not been giving me ulcers. I went for facial and was careful to keep my mouth closed. It was not a problem. For my mom's birthday, we had Japanese food and I could only take chawanmushi. Bummer. But when I feel miserable about not being able to enjoy food, I remind myself that I'm losing weight.

I'd say that in all, things are going well. Next appointment is a little more than a month later... I can't wait, I can't wait!



























No comments: