WAH!!! Ivan 害我!!! Because reading The Little Prince was super emo... boohoohoo! You've been warned, it's not for the faint-hearted.
I remember reading The Little Prince many years ago... it was a very quick read and as I returned it to the library, I was clueless as to why it was thought to be that great. Then, for some reason, Ming bought a copy of it and that is why we have a copy lying at home, left untouched until now.
Now, many years later, I picked it up and devoured every word with a sort of clarity that had slipped me by before. Almost as if I was digesting it for the first time.
I'm not sure I particularly love the Little Prince...or any of the characters in the book as many people do. I'm just... not sure. The characters are not clearly loveable to me, in that sense. If there's a character I love, I think it would be first and foremost the narrator.
But the Little Prince himself, is real and what makes him real is that he has his eccentricities. He has made mistakes, he has been hurt and he is struggling to come to terms with all of that.
The Little Prince also started off confused and unsure. Any liking I have for him would be due to his courage. It was difficult for him to leave his planet, to leave his rose, but he needed to. He had to make his journey. He just had to leave. It was... his destiny and also the destiny of the many others who'd meet him along the way.
I think I can see now, how it's all purposeful and meaningful, every ounce of pain and loneliness in the book. They all contribute to a better understanding of the lives that the characters are leading.
By the end of the book, I had sunk into an emotional abyss so deep,
but it was all kinda sweet.
No comments:
Post a Comment