I’ve told this story before but anyways, there was once we were planning what to eat in Malaysia (so many possibilities, so little time) and JY asked, “Do you like stingray? There’s this place (she proceeded to describe how cho oishii the stingray at some place is).”
“Yah, yah! I like… let’s go, let’s go.” I thought… Oh God, MUST GO! MUST GO!
“What about Food B (another food, forgot what)?”
“Yah! I like. I cho onz Food B one!” Then she described the Food B at some place and it sounded cho cho cho oishii. I thought, cho onz, must go!
“Oh, I dunno if you like Food C leh. Do you eat Food C one? Cos there’s this place… (oishii description again)”
“Of course… I LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
“Aiyah, should have known, no need to ask you, you everything also like.”
Yes, I EVERYTHING ALSO LIKE!!!!!!! As long as it’s OISHII!!! When it comes to food, I am adventurous and I AM GREEDY. I am the original Greedy Liew, ok?
But that episode with JY was eons ago and since coming to the UK, I sometimes forget how enthusiastic I am for food, both eating and cooking. There were times I couldn’t even be bothered to walk, what, twenty steps to the kitchen. The problem might be that I have to share the kitchen with seven other people and I hate people looking at me do stuff, even if they are not actually watching. God, I’m weird. But not like I dunno… hurhurhur… I just want absolute privacy even when I’m cooking lor (there are exceptions lah, ok). Sighs… I used to bake so often! Even when I was in Japan I took care to cook properly! Now I only ‘cook properly’ occasionally.
Another thing is, I only like to eat oishii food and if it’s average or what then to me it’s wasting calories. Then it becomes food for subsistence. Not to say I turn my nose up at them. Generally I live to eat but sometimes I eat to live too. And sad to say, there's hardly any oishii home-cooking here.
I so miss my Mom’s 糖水!!! I miss my Mom’s cooking!!! I know, everybody will say like, Oh their Mom can cook so well blah, blah (ok, not some of you but you know, The Public, in general)… but I don’t usually, really believe them lor. However, I believe that my Mom’s 糖水 is really onz lor!!! And her 卤鸭 too! And her Chicken Curry if she doesn’t try to be funny (healthy?) and replace the coconut milk with this or that.
Ok, my list of things to eat back in Singapore is now at number 27. I know that’s not a lot of food because I don’t miss many things, just 27 (up till now). Because like for example 烧腊, the Four Seasons (not hotel) in London is damn good, so no need to wait for Singapore. Although for things like Dim Sum, although you can get good Dim Sum here but it’s so much cheaper and in abundance in Singapore. So yeah, Dim Sum is on my list. What else? Qi Ji’s Popiah!!! And Jap food… the Jap food here sucks. No, I suppose the good ones are damn ex, like Nobu for example, so I haven’t tried them.

Oh, I’m having porridge tonight! I miss my Grandma’s porridge but she hasn’t been cooking it (during CNY) for many years now. Too mafan. When I go back to Singapore I’m gonna have her teach me (again) her 粽子 which are like… The Best. I will write down every step from step one to step n. And I will ask if she can teach me how to make 角仔… though I’m not really a fan of 角仔 but everybody else seem to like them so ok lah, I (I’m pointing to myself now) shall 牺牲小我啦!
My babysitter or 奶妈 said that it’s not good to stop making CNY goodies once you’ve started. It’s like a tradition or something and if you stop then its bad… bad luck or bad something. I dunno… on some years I bake CNY cookies but on some years I don’t leh. Maybe I should do it consistently from now on… or at least when I take over the 角仔 making.
My paternal Grandma or 奶奶 who passed away when I was ten used to make very onz 鸡酒 and 客家酿豆腐. But HOW FOOLISH!!!! My aunties never bothered to learn them properly!!! And now whenever any one of them attempt to replicate 奶奶’s taste? CANNOT MAKE IT LOR!!!!!!!!!!!! And the others (and sometimes the cook herself) will say ‘Mm Qi Ee Meh Ge’ (dun taste like what my Grandma used to make). Of course Mm Qi lor… you never put in the effort to learn, where got can make it? A pity I was too young, I don’t even remember what my 奶奶’s food taste like. Ok lah, but to my aunts’ credit they can cook pretty well too lah (when they are in the mood).

Why oh why did the moth fly into my room and how did it come in? I’ve kept my windows shut for the longest time. Anyway, I need to buy another bottle of insecticide. I could tell the moth was in agony, fluttering its wings but unable to fly. The only thing I could do was to squish it in a plastic bag, so at least it dies fast. But not without taking this pic first.
No comments:
Post a Comment