Thursday, 4 November 2004

KT on Oct


KT on Oct
Originally uploaded by
Suyi.

It looks like I'm gonna be a super enthu blogger for like... 2 seconds before I fizzle out and die away. (must be because I'm supposed to be studying)

I'm back for now.

The weather is, as with year end weather in Singapore, rainy. And whenever it comes to this, I remember Kelvin Tong. Tong is an ex-ST columnist. His writing always kept me in rapture. Myself, and a certain other friend who wanted to marry him. *snigger* I supposed that was because he looked cute in the icon-sized picture that truly belied his older and less-cute self. (What am I talking about?) Anyhow, he is a man of substance.

I remember Tong especially vividly now, because he once wrote a poignant column about October and the monsoon season. Although it is November, the rain still comes and I still think of his writing. In the midst of recalling, I dug it up, the article. I've had a habit of hoarding interesting news article since I started working.

The gist of it says that October now is not October then, while the rain was just mindless fun, it now represents the passing of time and reminds us of the responsibilities that come with age. We used to walk in the rain, now we scuttle from shelter to shelter.
Whether we like it or not, here's the rainy season and how things have changed.

Halloween was 4 days ago. Last year Halloween, I was in Malaysia covering Mahatir's step-down. Has it been a year already?

Date: Halloween night 2003
Time: 2200 hrs
Location: Nikko Hotel, KL
Status: Alone

I always sleep with the T.V. on when I'm alone in a hotel room. That night, Nikko had some really bad channels (read: news channels) and I decided to give Star World and another movie channel a chance to fight for my liking. None was good. Eerie trailers of horror movies kept coming up one after another. I seriously felt spooked and had a bad night's sleep. Fortunately, we returned home the next day. That was the first time I felt haunted in a hotel room. That is also why I think I will always be reminded of Mahatir this time of the year, every year from now.

When I saw that freaky Halloween trailer again this year, it struck me how 365 days had tapped me on the shoulder and while I looked back, swept soundlessly past me. It is not that nothing had been done. Too many things had happened. Many things accomplished. I did have some laughter and some tears. It is not time wasted nor am I unsatisfied. Perhaps it's just growing that bit older. It magnifies my memories yet diminishes their importance.

I was flipping through my diary and saw my 2004 resolutions. I didn't disappoint myself. I did manage some of them. It's almost time for another set.

Sometimes, the most melancholic thing is simply nothing. It's simply just going on.

No comments: